We currently offer a two day introductory training in trauma-informed community yoga, or bespoke training programmes to suit the needs of your group.
INTRODUCTION TO TRAUMA-INFORMED COMMUNITY YOGA
A Training for Yoga Teachers
18th and 19th November 2023
"I honestly think the training was perfect - I know constructive feedback is good but I literally don't have any!! It was so informative without being overwhelming, there was an excellent balance of 'lecture', small and whole group discussion, practical exploration and time for self check-in/reflection/re-centering. It's clear that you guys have a deep understanding, and wealth of experience in holding, and creating, safe and accountable spaces - as you provided an amazing learning environment for us this weekend. (And thank you for all the snacks!!)"
-Feedback from 2-day training in Bristol, May 2022
We are delighted to offer a 2-day introductory training into trauma-informed community yoga. Whatever your starting point, this training will support you to grow as a teacher, giving you an introduction to trauma-informed yoga and providing space to reflect together on the ethos and practicalities of community yoga. We will explore a diverse range of topics in an interactive and experiential manner to support you to really embody the knowledge and skills we will be sharing.
- What is outreach community yoga and do we really need it?
- How does outreach community yoga link to yogic philosophy?
- The role of power and privilege in yoga settings and how to address this
- What is trauma and how do trauma and stress affect us?
- What does it mean to be 'trauma-informed' in our yoga practice and teachings?
- How might chronic stress and trauma show up in a yoga class?
- The science of stress and trauma in the brain and body
- How to manage emotional distress, boundaries and risk issues
- The ethics of outreach community yoga
- The practicalities of setting up & funding outreach classes
- Case studies and Q&A time
Supporter (reflects the true value of this work and helps us to grow) £225
Sustainer (average income) £200
Community (low income) £175
We offer one bursary place per training, available for those who identify as being from a marginalised community who cannot afford a full price ticket. This bursary may cover two half places or one full place depending on requests received.
Why train with us?
The Bristol Yoga Roots Project have been delivering outreach yoga classes since 2017 and have trained and worked with many different organisations and diverse populations. Our training programmes have been developed based on our years of experience sharing trauma-informed community yoga practices. We also draw on our lived experiences and professional work, which spans a broad spectrum including clinical psychology, research, community case work, social activism, mental health, physical health, chiropractic, anthropology and business development. We are committed to co-creating a warm and welcoming space for us to learn together.